1/15/2009

Long Exposures-Wellington, Florida



Wellington is the small city in Western West Palm Beach, Florida where I attended High School. It has changed a lot since I lived there, but it is still the same in many respects. I had an itch to do some night photography after finding inspiration from Todd Hido's work, so I hit the sleepy streets of suburban Wellington to shoot long exposures for three straight days in late December. I'm not sure how I feel about the shots. At the time of shooting, I thought the city turned into my own personal photo land where I kept discovering new points of view to shoot an old landscape in which I once knew . I didn't have a tripod to place the camera on, so I used a bench, or the ground, or I placed it on a post to keep it steady. I shot the same view multiple times with different exposure settings to have different ways of seeing the same shot in different light.



The shot above is a photo of a community recreation center that has several baseball fields and basketball courts. It would of been nice if I could of been elevated maybe 40 ft, so I could of captured more of the fields instead of just the lights in the distance from the main road.

Here is a video of Todd Hido. The inspiration behind this blog entry. I really enjoy his work. I think his photographs are open ended and speak volume to the viewer. www.toddhido.com



On the subject of long exposures, check out this 6 month exposure captured with a homemade pinhole camera. click here

No comments: